What To Do Before Getting Pierced
Hello friends! Today I want to share a little advice on What To Do Before Getting Pierced! This is for all those ladies (and gents) who are getting pierced and want to know how to prepare, what to expect and generally what to do. It’s a little daunting getting your first piercing, so I thought this post might be of help!
Also, in case you don’t know, Monica Vinader do piercings in their boutiques, so if you are in Chelsea, Canary Wharf, Marylebone, Covent Garden, Selfridges or Mayfair in London, then book yourself an appointment. And for those in New York head to their Soho boutique or in California you can go to Nordstrom, South Coast Plaza. It’s really important to choose a good piercer, especially for the trickier parts of your ears and Monica Vinader can always be trusted! OK! Let’s chat about What To Do Before Getting Pierced!
What To Do Before Getting Pierced
- Try to get plenty of rest the night before
- Make sure you’ve eaten within at least 4 hours of your appointment and drink plenty of fluids beforehand
- Don’t consume alcohol within at least 12 hours of your piercing. Also, try not to have too much coffee that morning and if you are on any blood thinning medications, it might be worth delaying your appointment.
- Ahead of your appointment, read the aftercare advice so you are prepared for how to care for your new piercing.
- If you are pregnant, it’s generally advised to avoid piercings or tattoos until you are at least 3 months postpartum
Piercing aftercare advice: what to avoid after a piercing
- Avoid touching your piercing wherever possible and when you do, make sure your hands are clean and dry. Make sure you wash your hands with warm water and soap, and dry your hands thoroughly with a clean towel or disposable paper towel.
- Cleanse your new piercing with Antibacterial Cleansing Saline Solution, twice a day, front and back. This can be bought from the Monica Vinader piercing studio, or your local pharmacist.
- Do not pull, tug or fiddle with your new piercing
- Avoid swimming in pools or the sea for at least 4 weeks after your piercing.
- Avoid sunbeds and tanning for at least 2 weeks after your piercing
- Don’t use any soaps or cleansing products on the piercing except the Antibacterial Cleansing Saline Solution
- Avoid sleeping on your piercing whilst it is healing and keep your bedding and pillows clean
- Keep hair clean whilst your piercing is healing and avoid wearing your hair too close to your ears during this time
- Do not leave the piercing without an earrings for at least 12 months after the piercing as the hole can heal over.
- During the advised healing time, only wear the original piercing jewellery
Ear piercing healing times
- Lobes usually take around 8 – 12 weeks to heal
- Helix/ Forward Helix usually take 6 – 12 months
- Tragus usually takes 6 – 12 months
How long do your ears hurt after they are pierced?
Your ears can be sore for around 3-5 days after getting them pierced
Can I drink before a piercing?
No, you cannot drink alcohol before a piercing as it thins the blood and can be dangerous. Also, if the piercer suspects you are under the influence, they will not go ahead with your appointment.
Ta da! I hope this post was of help! Please let me know if you have any questions. This post contains affiliate links. Also, read my Monica Vinder review HERE!