Where To Get FREE Furniture in the UK!
Hello friends! Today I want to share with you a few tips on where to get free furniture in the UK! Because let’s be honest, furniture is EXPENSIVE and often when you move house, it drains your account. I know, when we bought our house, it was our first home and before we had been in a rented furnished flat, which meant we had NOTHING!!! No money left in our accounts and no furniture to get us going! In fact, on our first night in our new home, we sat on the stairs because we didn’t have a dining room table and chairs! So today I’m going to give you my best tips, tricks and advice on where to get free furniture in the uk! OK Let’s go!
My FREE Red Sofa!
Just as an example, I got this beautiful red sofa FREE on eBay! No joke! I was the second highest bidder and when I lost the item I messaged the seller and said if the buyer pulls out I’m still keen. A few days later I got a message saying that the buyer wasn’t able to collect and if I could collect the sofa within a few days it was mine for free! I promptly booked a van and it was mine – 100% free of charge!!!
My FREE TV!
When I moved to London I had NO money for a TV, so I stalked Gumtree and landed myself a free TV! When I went to collect it, the lovely man said he was moving in with his partner and he was selling his place. He pointed to a HUGE pile of amazing stuff and said ‘want any of this stuff? I need to take it to the charity shop!’. Not only did I leave with a TV, but I also got a lovely salad bowl an ironing board and SO much more! All free! All via Gumtree!
My FREE Chair!
My neighbours were clearing out some furniture and asked if I wanted to take a peek inside their boot before they went to the charity shop. I scored myself this FREE chair which I painted white and recovered and now I love it!
My £1.04 Chair!
Ok, so it wasn’t technically free, but I did get this amazing pink chair from eBay for £1.04 (see picture below). I sit on it nearly every day and I absolutely love it!! I typed in pink velvet chair and searched ‘location nearest’ and up it came! I bid and it was mine!
Things I’ve Given Away (Mainly On Gumtree…)
So I don’t just get free furniture, I also give it away! Over the years I’ve given away a £1,000 sofa which just needed a small repair – it didn’t go with our decor any more! As well as enough Fired Earth tiles to tile a bathroom, an ikea butchers block, a vintage kitchen door, enough wood panelling to board out a loft and even… a conservatory – I think I sold it for £10 which is more than it cost me to park our cars for the day whilst they took it away! No joke!
The Best Places To Get Free Furniture – UK
- Facebook Marketplace
- Salvation Army
- Ask your friends and family
- Ask on your local facebook community page
- Charity shop furniture stores: Ask if they have any sofas which don’t have fire tags, as these items can’t be sold. You could also ask them if they have any broken furniture which you could fix and upcycle.
- A local house clearance company: Ask if they have any furniture which you could repair or sofas which don’t have any fire tags as these can’t be sold.
- eBay: Look for any sofas and chairs which are listed for 99p. I got a beautiful pink chair (see above) for £1.04 from eBay and a sofa for free because the buyer never paid and the seller gave it to me for free if I could collect ASAP.
- University Campus Clear-outs: At the end of the year, students will often leave unwanted furniture outside their flats and students houses, hello free shelves!
- Car boot sales: Wait until the end and generally sellers will let you have any bulky items like furniture free / £1 because they don’t want to take it home with them. Some sellers will leave a pile of items with a note that says ‘FREE’. So help yourself!
- Local Recycling Centre: At my local recycling centre the larger items like furniture and electricals are stored in containers and sent for recycling, if you see something you like, ask them if you can have it, it will save them the trouble of recycling it!
I hope this post on Where To Get FREE Furniture in the UK is of help! Please do let me know if you have any questions, because I’m always happy to help! Also if you want to know more about getting super cheap vintage furniture and transporting it for cheap, read this post!