TEN Things I Bet You Didn’t Know About Collagen!
Collagen is something we chat about a lot in the beauty industry, but generally, we just think about it’s skin plumping and hair health benefits. However, collagen supports our bodies in so many more ways and it’s so much more than just a ‘vanity’ supplement. Collagen supports bone and joint health, helps metabolise fat more efficiently and even help repair muscle tissue and heal wounds faster. Amazing right? So today I want to do a bit of a deep dive and discuss the Ten things I bet you didn’t know about collagen and what other benefits it can have on the body. I recently had a chat with my friends at Rejuvenated who, in my opinion, make the BEST supplements out there, so a huge thank you to them for helping me out with this post! Anyway, I hope this post is of interest to you, I really wanted to share a little more about collagen because it really is an amazing supplement which does so much more than just improve the appearance of skin! Also, before we get started, collagen has benefits for men too, so if you are male and thinking collagen doesn’t apply to you… think again!
Let’s Chat Collagen & Collagen Benefits
– Collagen makes up 75% of our skin and is the most abundant protein in the body. In fact, the name collagen is derived from the Greek word ‘kolla’ which means glue. Collagen is the key to holding our body together.
– After the age of 25, collagen levels start to diminish by up to 1.5% a year. By the age of 45, collagen levels can have fallen by as much as 30%.
– Collagen provides the key building blocks to stimulate collagen production, thus improving the skin and the hair.
– Collagen helps to balance fibroblasts within the body which in turn plays a vital role in repairing muscle tissue and healing wounds.
– Collagen helps the body to metabolise fat more efficiently thus creating lean body mass.
– Collagen supports bone and joint health.
– Collagen helps to strengthen the connective tissue to improve the appearance of the skin. This in turn helps to reduce signs of cellulite and stretch marks.
– Collagen contains glycine which promotes healthy blood sugar levels.
– Glycine also helps to promote a more rested night’s sleep.
– Ingesting collagen can help to calm inflammation in the digestive system.
…And there we have it, I hope this post was of help to you and I hope that it might make you see there are so many more benefits to collagen supplements than just plumping and firming you skin, because as lovely as that is, there are so many more amazing reasons to add collagen into your diet! Also if you are looking to use some pro-collagen skincare, let me recommend Elemis to you.