I Upcycled My Drawers… Inspired By An Insta-famous Pink Door With Eyes!
New year, new project!! I’m SO excited to show you this one! It’s a project that’s been on my list for a while now, but I have to admit, it ended up even better than I expected! I was planning on just repainting it pink and calling it a day, but as I was applying the third coat, a flash of inspiration struck me and I ended up giving it a little twist, inspired by one of my favourite insta-famous London doors! Recognise it?! If not, check out this Pin on Pinterest of a pink door with eyes. I’ve loved this front door for years and once the idea hit me, I couldn’t resist paying a little homage to the colourful corner of London. However, it was only when I posted a photo on Instagram that I discovered that the door belongs to the amazing Emma Hill of Hill & Friends. SO, Shout out to Emma for being so amazing and thank you for the Inspo! Also, if you don’t know Hill & Friends handbags, go check them out, they are amazing!
Now here’s where I have to make a confession; I didn’t actually take many before pictures, but thankfully I do have this shot of it (right hand corner of the image). As you can see, it’s a small set of vintage drawers with wood handles, it looked handmade and was a sun faded cream/magnolia colour. I bought it from my Local British Heart Foundation store, I think it cost around £10 or £15 and would benefit from a coat of paint. I bought it because it was a nice size, in great working order and I liked the simple but lovely vintage design. I knew with a coat of paint it would look cute and provide me with a nice bit of office storage. Plus, who am I kidding, it was cute, cheap and I was broke!
I’m not gonna pretend this upcycling project needed skills, because honestly, it couldn’t have been easier! I took the drawers out, painted the front of each drawer, and painted the the frame. I gave everything three coats of paint and allowed around 6-12 hours drying time between coats. I used a Harris Brush as they never drop their bristles and some amazing hot pink Valspar paint left over from a previous project. As for the eyes, I bought these on sale (50p!) from The Works and stuck them on with Serious Glue. As for the ‘nose / letterbox’, this is the black paint which was left over from when we decorated the hallway bannister. I painted the nose with a small, stiff make-up brush, I know people won’t believe me, but I do this a lot when I’m decorating, make-up brushes are PERFECT for small fiddly sections.
Valspar Paint – Pink Ribbon Care (created for the Pink Ribbon Foundation and left over from this project)
Harris Paintbrush – (left over from this project)
Goggly Eyes – Bought for 50p (sale) from The Works (look for them in the children’s craft section)
Black Paint – Left over from this project
Serious Glue – Bought from Amazon for a previous project, it’s a great all-rounder strong craft glue.
Watch The Video…
Finally, I made a super short video showing how it all came together, it’s only a minute long, so press play! As you can see, it’s started life as a pretty basic old set of drawers and a little paint transforms it into what you see today! Press play below…
TA DA!! There we have it… my first up cycling project of the year! I hope you like it! As always, thank you SO much for reading!