New Years Eve is by far the most expensive night of the year to go out, yet it is also the one evening where every pub, club and restaurant is so busy it is hard to find a table, let alone get some service. One of my favourite ever NYE’s was when I went to a small gathering at a friends flat. So here are my five tips for hosting a NYE party!
1. Guest list! It’s important to consider who you invite carefully. First of all, try to make sure that everyone there knows at least one other person at the party (other than you of course). Make sure you invite people who you think will get along and don’t forget to introduce them!
2. Cocktail Hour! Everyone loves a cocktail so have them on tap! While making cocktails can be time consuming channel a cocktail bar by buying in some Funkin Mixers. Funkin supply most of the UK’s cocktail clubs with mixers, they are really affordable and make the most delicious cocktails. All you need to do is add ice, alcohol and give them a shake. Let people know the party is BYOB but also that you will be making cocktails so people can bring spirits to mix. Everyone loves a cocktail!
3. Hashtag your party! Create a hashtag for the party so everyone can tweet/instagram the party pictures and find them after. Make the hashtag is unique and write it in glitter. Display in the bathroom, buffet table and cocktail station! If you have a Instax camera leave it around so that people can have fun snapping pictures on the night!
4. Music! When you invite your friends ask everyone to send in their top 10 songs so that you can create a Spotify playlist to play on the night. If you don’t have a spotify subscription, you can always sign up for a 24 hour subscription just for the party. Make sure the playlist is double the length of the estimated time of the party so you know it won’t run out, no matter what time the party ends or however many songs are skipped.
5. Fancy up your flat! Move any breakables or clutter out of the kitchen and living spaces. You want clear surfaces clear for drinks, handbags, gifts etc. Change the lightbulbs to softer lighting or better still, coloured light bulbs. Sprinkle glitter on your kitchen work tops, fill big, colourful bowls with sweets and treats. If you don’t have enough glasses to go around, buy coloured plastic cups for the party. A little glitter, colour and tinsel goes a long way! Oh and don’t forget to have a pizza parlour on speed dial if everyone wants a little 3am snack! Also, for getting home safely, I’m addicted to Uber, it is reliable and the drivers are super nice, use the promo code ‘Kirstym30’ for £10 free credit!