Need Glasses, Want Glasses!

I’m so jealous of people who wear glasses.

Not only do they frame your face better than any eyebrow ever could, but they make your eyes look bigger. If you pick a really good frame, you also get the added benefit of a super cool and effortless accessory. While sunglasses have a similar effect, as soon as you get in doors you have to take them off and the magic has disappeared. I have often been caught out by the allure of sunglasses, I wouldn’t have this problem if I wore real glasses.

retro frame sunglasses hugo boss

Recently I have started noticing just how cool glasses look and how much I want a pair. I wouldn’t choose a discrete metal-framed style. I would pick a big ol’ pair of plastic retro framed glasses. Nice thick frames, maybe a slight cat-eye shape to give a little uplift. From old school NHS / Jarvis Cocker style glasses, to ultra chic Tom Ford frames. The only way to go is retro!

There are so many great retro shapes to pick from, all of which are super cool. The hipsters in East London are wearing a lot of small, round frames. Part Harry Potter, part 1920’s intellect. The girls of the 1950’s wore more of a cat-eye shape. These glasses are really fun and glamz. The shape of them is super flattering as it gives a great uplift to your face. A little like winged eyeliner does, but with less effort, you can go subtle with your cat eye shape, or you can even find frames which accentuate the shape with crystals and detailing.

In the 70’s NHS glasses were practical and cheap. Then Jarvis Cocker came along in the 1990’s and he showed us all how cool they could look. He rocked his pair with 70’s shirts and ties, indie hair and sometimes even a velvet suit. Amazing! Pulp were amazing and his glasses became an icon of cool for so many indie kids. Jarvis Cocker is still cool and so are his glasses. Proof that big chunky frames are still awesome, if you don’t have the 70’s jumpers to match the 70’s glasses and you want to go a little safer with you choice, Ray-Ban is the way to go. They have thick frames, comfortable to wear and flattering on every face shape and perfect for every situation from the office to the cocktail bar and everywhere in between.

huge boss glasses retro frames

SCLO have some great retro frames, it is well worth checking them out!

10 Comments

1. November 3, 2014 / 2:51 pm

I kind of feel your pain. I used to wear glasses- for about 10 years – then I was told I didn’t need them anymore, just when I was looking forward to a chunky pair of secretary style frames!!!!

• fashionforlunch
      November 3, 2014 / 3:05 pm

Thank you!

2. November 3, 2014 / 5:18 pm

I have had glasses forever and I feel really naked without them. But life would be so much easier if I didn’t need them. Although they are a great accessory, but at least for me they are so expensive that I can only afford one pair and I would love more variety. And when I have to replace them (like I do now) I am so stressed over where can I find a pair that I like so much that I can live with them on my face every day for next couple of years 🙂 What is the go-to frame style right now?

3. Young British Female
    November 3, 2014 / 5:58 pm

I have never had my eyes tested and I don’t think I’ve ever needed to up until recently – I’ve noticed that I’m squinting a lot. I’m going to have to get myself an appointment – I’m less nervous of it after reading this post – glasses are cool! x

4. November 3, 2014 / 6:01 pm

I enjoyed your article. When I was young and had to wear glasses I hated them. Now I don’t mind them at all. The fashion has come a long way from those days. By the way, what is the make of that camera? I love the look.

5. November 3, 2014 / 11:32 pm

Haha I actually wear really big glasses, and I’m thinking about laser eye surgery! Not because I think I look terrible in glasses, but because they are so tough to wear when you MOVE at all. Just fall right off my face.
    Hipster glasses are the best though.

6. November 4, 2014 / 12:16 pm

I guess one always wants what one doesn’t have, I had laser surgery a few years ago so that I wouldn’t have to wear glasses anymore! I do agree that some people look really good in them though, unfortunately I just wasn’t one of them! You could always keep your sunnies on indoors and just be THAT person… 😉 x

%d bloggers like this: