Guest Living Room
I have been meaning to write this post for the longest time, but being an avid photo-taker, I knew the ‘before’ images might be a little tricky to track down. In reality, all I really need to do was scroll through 13,000 iPhone images and search an old external hard drive… what could be harder, right?! Funnily enough though, I didn’t find as many ‘before’ images as I was hoping for, but to be fair, there wasn’t much to look at! Green threadbare carpet (see below image of it rolled up ready for the dump), MDF cladding on the walls (again, see image of the trash pile), aqua-wash brick wall, two very dated looking doors and well, some botched building work around the door frame and general grot and grime… Welcome to my humble home!
Just to put it in perspective, this room is not part of the main house, it’s an extension at the side of the house. The ceilings are standard height here (the main house has ceilings 3.5m and upwards), it’s a much newer build (the main part of the house dates back to 1860, this extension was built around the 1960’s) and it’s main light source was a skylight. We actually cut it in half so that one side (the side shown in most of the images) could be a living room and the other side could become a guest bedroom (Image 5 is the back part of the room which is now a bedroom, See this post for the transformation). Also, beyond this room was, ermmmmm, male / female toilets (I know, right?!). Which dates back to when this space was used as a social club, but I promise there isn’t one anymore! I promise it’s urinal-free now and it’s actually a really lovely bathroom!
Ok, so I know this room is kind of unrecognisable from the before images, but we ploughed a lot of time, effort and cash to make sure this was the case! Firstly, see the botched doorframe? Our builders removed it all and remade it so it was less, well, sh*t, it actually made the door frame bigger so we replaced the ugly old door with a clean simple modern door and this really helped make it feel less wobbly and less draughty. Also, I was desperate to keep the texture of the brick wall, so we used masonry filler to fill in all the tiny holes from where the batons had been screwed into the bricks. Once it was filled and painted pink, I knew I had made the right decision! The rest of the walls were stripped back as far as they could go and then plaster-boarded and skimmed to give them a smooth finish. The green carpet was replaced with wood flooring, new skirting and door frames were added and the walls were painted pink and yellow. As for the decor, we kept it colourful with a 70’s twist! (You can find all the details of where everything was purchased in this post). Phew! It’s hard to believe I have condensed such a huge project into one short post!
Remember my pink door makeover? Well, well it took a lot of time, love and effort, but that rickety old exterior door you see in the second photo was sanded down, smoothed over with wood filler, primed, the glass, locks & letterbox replaced, and finally painted to create the cute pink door you see today! Both the builders and my boyfriend told me I was crazy to try and refurbish that door, but I’m so glad we did it! Oh and also, because the house is old and in an conservation area, we didn’t want to replace any old windows for UPVC, but at the same time, I was worried for security reasons about keeping the old glass. So we replaced old glass for new toughened glass, it’s still a single pane of glass, so it’s in-keeping with the old building, but it’s something crazy like 1,000 times stronger than normal glass. Safety and security is so important to us both, especially since my boyfriend travels so much with work.
So, there we have it, before and after and hopefully all that happened in-between! I hope you like it! Feel free to comment below and let me know what you think!
Follow these topics: home